This guide covers the process of adding and activating Animal Planet on Roku. We also have provided a few alternatives for cord-cutters.
We all have a knack for docuseries about wild animals in the world’s most diverse biomes, spending countless hours watching Animal Planet on the cable throughout our lives.
In fact, over 84 million pay-TV subscribers alone in the United States tune in to the channel once a while for a change. Surprisingly, Animal Planet’s programming still is quite relevant among younger audiences. The channel’s popularity extends to a dozen other countries as well.
Discovery Inc. currently owns and operates Animal Planet, the same network that controls the Discovery Channel, Food Network, HGTV, Science Channel, TLC, Travel Channel, and many more. Like many of its sister channels, Animal Planet also has its own TV Everywhere service for paying subscribers, known as the Animal Planet GO.
Fortunately, Animal Planet GO is available across various devices, including Roku streaming players and TVs. Continue reading this article to activate and watch Animal Planet on Roku.
- 1 What does Animal Planet GO on Roku Offer?
- 2 How to Add Animal Planet GO on Roku?
- 3 How to Activate Animal Planet on Roku?
- 4 Overview of Animal Planet GO Roku Channel
- 5 Watch Animal Planet on Roku Without Cable
- 6 To Conclude
What does Animal Planet GO on Roku Offer?
The Animal Planet GO channel on Roku gives cable and satellite pay-TV subscribers free access to the live Animal Planet TV stream and an extensive back catalog of original programs. All it asks for is signing in with your provider credentials.
You can binge all your favorite wildlife-themed docuseries and shows season-by-season on the following Animal Planet GO Roku channel. The latest episodes from the currently-running programs are also available on-demand the day after the TV broadcast.
Here are some of the most popular shows you can watch on the Animal Planet GO Roku channel: Amanda to the Rescue, Alaska Law, The Aquarium, Big Cat Tales, Coyote Peterson: Brave the Wild, Crikey! It’s the Irwins, Dog Bowl, Dr. Jeff: Rocky Mountain Vet, Extinct or Alive, Fish or Die, I Was Prey, Insane Pools: Off the Deep End, My Cat from Hell, Northwest Law, River Monsters, Treehouse Masters, etc.
Since Animal Planet GO also provides access to the 24/7 channel stream, you get to enjoy your favorite Animal Planet programs live on schedule. However, you must have the channel included in your current pay-TV subscription plan.
At the time of writing, the Animal Planet GO Roku channel supports TV authentication from hundreds of American television providers, such as AT&T U-Verse, Cox, Dish, Fios, Optimum, Xfinity, Spectrum, and more. You can also log into the TV Everywhere channel with an OTT live TV subscription. More on that later.
Features of the Animal Planet GO Roku channel
- Animal Planet GO offers thousands of hours of wildlife docuseries and reality shows on-demand from the TV channel of the same name.
- You can also watch the Animal Planet TV channel live on Roku once you sign in with your TV credentials.
- It lets you add your favorite shows and documentaries to a watchlist, so you can access them quickly.
- Animal Planet GO supports closed captions. You can enable it for both the live channel stream and on-demand content.
- The channel has an intuitive interface, and it’s easy to navigate with the Roku remote.
How to Add Animal Planet GO on Roku?
The quickest way to add Animal Planet GO to your Roku is to visit this Channel Store webpage. Once you are there, it’s as simple as clicking Add channel and logging into the Roku account linked to your device. Animal Planet GO will automatically get added to your Roku player or TV the next time you turn it on.
If your is Roku device powered on and you currently have access to it, perform the below steps to add Animal Planet GO from the built-in Channel Store.
- Go to the Home screen on your Roku, scroll down using the remote, and select Streaming Channels.
- Now head over to the Search Channels menu from the following Channel Store options.
- Enter “Animal Planet” in the search field using the virtual keyboard. A few results will appear to the right as you type it.
- Move to the results pane and select the Animal Planet GO Roku channel.
- Next, click Add channel on the channel’s description page. Your Roku should start downloading it.
(Depending on your Roku account preferences, you may have to verify your PIN to add the channel.)
- Finally, click OK to close the “Channel added” message box, then press the Home button on your Roku remote.
Once you are on the Home screen, you can open Animal Planet GO from the bottom of your channel grid.
If you would like to move it above in the grid, press the Star ✱ button on your Roku remote with the channel highlighted, then select Move channel in the contextual menu.
How to Activate Animal Planet on Roku?
Activating Animal Planet GO on Roku is pretty easy, as long as you have access to your TV provider credentials. Here’s how the whole process goes:
- First, open Animal Planet GO from your channel list on the Home screen.
- Once you can see the channel’s interface, move to the top-right corner and click the SIGN IN It will bring up the activation screen.
- Next, head over to www.animalplanet.com/activate from your web browser, enter the code shown on the Animal Planet GO activation screen, then hit the “Activate!” button.
- After that, go through the list and choose your TV provider. It will redirect you to your provider’s login screen.
- Now enter your user ID and password and sign in to your provider account to complete the activation.
Upon successful activation, your TV provider account should get linked to the Animal Planet GO channel on Roku. Provided that you follow the steps correctly, you should now be able to stream your favorite Animal Planet shows from the TV Everywhere library.
Overview of Animal Planet GO Roku Channel
The Animal Planet GO Roku channel has a user-friendly UI, and it’s mostly the same as other TVE Roku channels from Discovery. You can cycle between seven different menus from the top navigation bar: Featured, Shows, Browse, Live, My Videos, Search (magnifying glass), and Settings (cogwheel).
- Featured: It’s Animal Planet GO’s default home screen, where you can discover the latest episodes, featured programs, collections, short clips, and more. It also gives you quick access to the episodes and documentaries you paused before.
- Shows: It showcases every on-demand title from Animal Planet. You can browse the catalog in alphabetical order and pick up your favorite content.
- Browse: You can explore Animal Planet programs by various genres and collections from the Browse menu.
- Live: It gives a detailed view of current and upcoming programming on the Animal Planet TV station. You can also stream it live on Roku once you log in with your provider.
- My Videos: Any show or documentary you add to watch later is accessible from this section.
- Search: If you know what exactly you want to watch, go to the Search menu.
To change closed caption preferences or log out of the channel, visit the Settings screen. You can also re-activate the channel from there if you run into authorization issues during playback.
Watch Animal Planet on Roku Without Cable
We already established that it’s possible to watch Animal Planet on Roku with an over-the-top live TV subscription in the United States. Unlike cable or satellite, OTT skinny bundles don’t require you to pay for a long-term contract or additional maintenance charges.
If you wish to watch Animal Planet and other television channels on your Roku, we recommend opting for a monthly plan from one of the live TV streaming services listed below.
Before you continue, note that you can activate the Animal Planet GO Roku channel and several other TV Everywhere apps with your OTT provider credentials. The activation process is the same as shown above.
However, you must add your provider’s official streaming app to Roku to watch other channels and use additional features included in your subscription.
FuboTV’s Starter plan carries 100+ channels, including Animal Planet and most of its sister networks. The same applies to the more expensive Elite plan, which covers additional premium entertainment, lifestyle, and sports channels.
FuboTV also offers cloud DVR and simultaneous streaming with its subscription plans. You can upgrade the perks and get more channels with add-ons.
Hulu with Live TV
Hulu’s live TV lineup has not only Animal Planet but also Discovery, National Geographic, and Nat Geo Wild channels. In total, the Hulu + Live TV subscription gets you over 65 channels and access to Hulu’s existing streaming library.
Some of Animal Planet’s popular programs are available on Hulu, and you can watch them on-demand. Plus, the live TV plan comes with fifty hours of DVR storage, and it allows up to two concurrent streams.
If you don’t want to spend much on a live TV plan, Philo is for you. It only offers a single plan that gives you 60+ channels at an affordable monthly price, including Animal Planet and other Discovery networks.
Most of Animal Planet’s shows are also available on Philo on-demand, albeit you can only stream the episodes broadcasted in the last thirty days. You also get unlimited DVR storage and the ability to stream on up to three devices at the same time.
Vidgo is a relatively new value-for-money live TV streaming service, offering 85+ channels at a competitive price. Its English Lineup covers Animal Planet and 10+ other Discovery stations.
While it doesn’t have cloud DVR functionality yet, you get a 24-hour playback option. Plus, you can watch your favorite Animal Planet shows on-demand from Vidgo’s catch-up library.
If you have multiple Roku players or TVs in your house, you can use your Vidgo subscription with up to three devices.
YouTube TV provides 85+ top American channels of entertainment, news, sports, and more. Discovery is partnered with the service since 2019, so you can watch Animal Planet and its sister channels live on Roku with a YouTube TV subscription. It even includes National Geographic and Nat Geo Wild channels, giving you access to more wildlife programs and documentaries!
Like Philo, YouTube TV also provides unlimited DVR storage and allows simultaneous streaming on three devices. Furthermore, you can create six individual profiles for all your family members.
Whether you have cable or not, it’s surprisingly easy to watch Animal Planet on Roku. We have provided detailed instructions to add and activate the Animal Planet GO Roku channel in this guide. We have also given you an overview of the channel’s interface.
Plus, this guide contains extensive info on a handful of alternative services you can use to watch Animal Planet live on Roku without a cable or satellite pay-TV connection.
Unfortunately, there aren’t any true free alternatives. However, we recommend checking out the Animal Planet YouTube channel from your Roku. They upload short clips from the latest episodes of your favorite shows almost daily, and you can watch them for free!