This article is dedicated to all Roku users. Continue reading this post to know how to use audible on Roku.
Amazon has a significant reach in digital streaming. Its Prime Video service offers thousands of movies, shows, live sports, and other on-demand videos in dozens of countries. Its music streaming platform, Amazon Music, also opens the door to a massive catalog of songs from major and independent music labels. The number of registered users is in millions on both services.
If you are an audiobook type of person, Amazon also got you covered. Its Audible streaming service provides access to the largest selection of binge-worthy audiobooks, originals, and exclusive podcasts in several languages, covering a vast range of topics.
You can either pay for monthly access to a curated on-demand audiobooks catalog or use your “credits” to purchase any audiobook in Audible’s library regardless of the price. Select audiobooks and Audible Originals are also available for free forAudible on Roku the members.
Audible is compatible with many devices, including Android, iOS, Windows, and Amazon’s Fire OS. It gives you the convenience of listening to your favorite audiobooks on the go. But, what if you have a Roku player or TV? Can you possibly use Audible on it? This guide will tell you everything you need to know about Audible on Roku.
- 1 Is Audible Available on Roku?
- 2 Stream Audible on Roku via AirPlay
- 3 AirPlay Audible Audiobooks to Roku from iPhone or iPad
- 4 AirPlay Audible Audiobooks to Roku from Mac
- 5 Can you Stream Audible to Roku via Android?
- 6 What about Streaming Audible to Roku via Windows?
- 7 How to Sign up for an Audible Subscription?
- 8 Wrapping Up
Is Audible Available on Roku?
It’s pretty unfortunate that Audible isn’t officially supported on Roku devices, at least at the time of writing. The only streaming services Amazon offers on Roku are Prime Video and Amazon Music, which don’t provide access to any audiobooks.
In spite of that, there are a few ways you can listen to audiobooks and podcasts on Roku via Amazon’s Audible service. Since our solution depends on the devices you have, it may or may not work out for you. We would still recommend you check them out.
If you don’t have an Audible subscription yet, we have more details regarding that in the later section of this guide.
Stream Audible on Roku via AirPlay
Apple’s AirPlay streaming protocol gives iPhone, iPad, and Mac users the ability to stream videos, music, photos, and other media wirelessly to a supported display or receiver. Assuming you have one of the following Apple devices and an AirPlay-compatible Roku device in your house, streaming Audible on Roku is as simple as it gets.
Whether you have an iPhone, iPad, or Mac device, the following instructions will walk you through the process of playing Audible audiobooks on Roku via AirPlay. Before you proceed, make sure you meet the below requirements:
- Your iPhone or iPad must be running iOS 11.4 or later. If you have a Mac, we advise you to update it to macOS Catalina or newer.
- Download and install the latest Audible audiobooks & podcasts app from the App Store (not for macOS).
- You need a relatively newer model of Roku Premiere, Roku Ultra, or Roku Streaming Stick+ to get AirPlay working. The latest Roku Smart Soundbar, Streambar, and select Roku TV models also have AirPlay 2 support.
- For AirPlay to work on your supported Roku device, make sure it runs Roku OS 9.4 or higher.
(You can manually check for the latest Roku OS updates by going to Settings > System > System update)
- Verify whether AirPlay is enabled on your compatible Roku player or TV. Else, your Apple device won’t be able to find it.
(You can go to the Apple AirPlay and HomeKit menu from the Roku Settings screen to enable AirPlay.)
- You must connect your Roku device to the same Wi-Fi access point or local network as your Apple device.
AirPlay Audible Audiobooks to Roku from iPhone or iPad
Provided that you meet the above requirements, all you need to do is perform these steps in order to AirPlay Audible audiobooks to Roku from your iPhone or iPad:
- First, launch the Audible app from the Home screen on your iPhone or iPad, and then go through the sign-in/sign-up process.
- Next, choose the audiobook, podcast, or Audible Original you wish to stream to your Roku device from Audible’s catalog.
- When the content starts playing, tap the Connect to Device option in the middle of the player.
- Now select your Roku player or TV from the following list of available devices.
Upon verifying the AirPlay code, the content you have chosen to play in the Audible iPhone/iPad app should start playing back from your Roku device.
If you don’t see the Connect to Device option in the player, check out these steps instead:
- Minimize the Audible app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Open Control Center from the Home screen by swiping down from the screen’s top-right corner.
- After that, tap and hold the playback control tile in the upper-right corner, then tap the AirPlay Audio.
- Select your Roku device from the “Speakers & TVs” section in the AirPlay menu.
That’s it! Now you can enjoy listening to your favorite audiobooks from the Audible mobile app to your Roku device.
You are allowed to use your iPhone or iPad as a remote to play/pause, skip, and rewind when playing back Audible content to Roku via AirPlay. You can access the playback controls from either the Audible app or Control Center.
AirPlay Audible Audiobooks to Roku from Mac
If you have a MacBook, iMac, or a Mac mini, here’s how you can AirPlay Audible audiobooks to your compatible Roku player or TV:
- Open a Safari tab or any other web browser from your Mac desktop and go to www.audible.com
- Follow the sign-up process to get your Audible subscription. If you already have one, click the Sign In option on the top-right corner and sign in with your Amazon account.
- Once you have access to the Audible library, pick up the audiobook or podcast you want to play.
- Pause the playback, minimize the browser tab, and click the AirPlay icon in the top menu bar.
- Now choose your Roku device in the AirPlay drop-down menu, and then enter the AirPlay code shown on the Roku interface.
If you follow the steps correctly, you should see your Mac desktop mirrored to the TV screen. After that, return to the Audible tab in the browser and resume playing the selected audiobook or podcast. You can control the playback and adjust the volume from the web player.
Can you Stream Audible to Roku via Android?
Unfortunately, Android phone and tablet users can’t stream Audible to Roku due to Android’s incompatibility with Apple’s AirPlay streaming protocol. On top of that, you can’t get away with using screen mirroring or Miracast. Here’s why.
Audible uses the .aa and .aax file formats for its audiobooks and other content, which also encapsulates DRM protection to prevent piracy and unauthorized playback on different devices.
Unlike AirPlay, its DRM measures are mutually incompatible with the Miracast protocol, which Android uses for screen mirroring. Furthermore, neither the Audible Android app nor Roku devices support Google’s Chromecast functionality yet.
Thus, if you have found other guides on the web suggesting “screen mirroring” as a solution for streaming Audible content to Roku via Android, kindly ignore the misleading information.
However, Roku Streambar users can connect their smartphone, tablet, or computer to it via Bluetooth and channel the audio through the Streambar. It makes it possible to stream Audible audiobooks on Roku via Android. If you happen to have a Roku Streambar, check out the pairing steps below.
- First, scroll down the Roku Home screen and select Settings.
- Next, select Remote & devices in the Settings menu, followed by the Pair Bluetooth device.
- Now go to the Bluetooth settings on your Android device and enable the option.
- Select your Roku Streambar once it shows up in the scanned list of nearby Bluetooth devices.
Assuming your Android smartphone or tablet name appears in Roku’s list of paired Bluetooth devices and you see the ‘Connected’ status next to it, it means that the pairing process was a success.
When connected, you should be able to play audiobooks from the Audible Android app to your Roku Streambar. Your TV will also display the audiobook name and progress bar on the screen, but that depends on how your Android phone or tablet handles the information.
When you wish to stop listening, either turn off Bluetooth from your Android device or disconnect from your Roku Streambar’s Bluetooth settings.
What about Streaming Audible to Roku via Windows?
If you really want to listen to audiobooks from your TV or the connected sound system, we recommend connecting your Windows PC or laptop to one of the AV devices using an HDMI cable or a 3.5mm AUX cable. Make sure to change the video or audio source on your TV or audio device.
Alternatively, if you have a Roku Streambar and a Bluetooth-enabled Windows 10 PC/laptop, you can also stream the Audible audiobooks via Bluetooth.
How to Sign up for an Audible Subscription?
Amazon’s Audible audiobook streaming service currently offers two different paid membership plans for new members:
- Audible Plus: It unlocks access to the Audible Plus catalog, which includes thousands of on-demand titles. You also get offline listening functionality on supported devices.
- Audible Premium Plus (1 Credit / 2 Credits): It offers Credit(s) on top of all the benefits already available with Audible Plus. You can use a credit to unlock any audiobook from Audible’s Premium catalog. Plus, you get a 30% discount on any additional audiobook you buy from the Premium catalog.
If you love to listen to audiobooks all the time, the Audible Premium Plus is an excellent deal. New members also get 30 days of a free trial. All you have to do is visit audible.com from your browser, click the “Try Audible Premium Plus free” button, sign in with your Amazon account, and verify your payment method.
If you don’t have an Amazon account, Audible will also prompt you to create one. The service will charge for the subscription immediately upon the expiration of the trial period.
This guide has shown you the process of streaming Audible on Roku. While it certainly isn’t as convenient as playing back audiobooks directly from the Roku player or TV, using AirPlay is the only possible workaround to get Audible working.
For Android and Windows users, there is currently no other solution for streaming Audible on Roku devices (except if you got a Roku Streambar) due to the service’s stringent digital copyright protection.
We will update this guide if Amazon ever decides to bring a native Audible channel for Roku in the future.