Today we are going to teach you how you can easily watch Dailymotion on Roku. In a world where video-sharing platforms like YouTube exists, it’s really tough for alternatives to thrive. However, services like Facebook Watch and Vimeo has seen a healthy increase in userbase recently, due to several influentials and established creators shifting from other platforms.
Dailymotion is another video-sharing platform getting a lot of attention recently because of several global content distribution deals with Xiaomi and other companies. Given that Dailymotion attracts over 300 million unique users worldwide, adding some valuable content partners is the key to expanding the user base.
You and others reading this right now probably use Dailymotion for content consumption. It has been asked many times whether it’s possible to watch Dailymotion videos on Roku devices, but the web is full of misleading information.
This guide will answer the question once and for all and tell you how to get access to Dailymotion on Roku. Definitely read on through it to learn more.
Can you Get Dailymotion on Roku?
The official Dailymotion channel was removed last year from the Roku Channel Store for unknown reasons. A private Dailymotion channel showed up after a few days of the removal, but it’s also no longer operational on Roku devices.
Furthermore, Roku blocks users from sideloading third-party channels on their devices, unlike Android TV and Fire TV media streaming players. Unfortunately, there are zero alternative channels that you can use on your Roku device to access Dailymotion videos.
However, there are a handful of workarounds to this particular issue, and we have decided to list the easiest solutions below. You can follow them to stream Dailymotion videos on your Roku device.
Watch Dailymotion on Roku from your Android Device
The Firefox for Android browser does have a screencasting feature that lets users cast videos to several media streaming players, including Roku. You can use the following feature to watch Dailymotion videos on your Roku device.
The best thing about this feature is that you can keep using your Android phone for other things while you are streaming Dailymotion videos on Roku, unlike the regular screen mirroring options. In addition, you don’t have to bother keeping your device’s screen active for the rest of your streaming session.
The first thing you have to do is get the Firefox channel on your Roku device. Here’s how to add to your channel list:
- First, scroll down the options on the Roku home screen and click Streaming Channels to open the Roku Channel Store.
- Now highlight and select the Search Channels option to get to the search menu.
- After that, type in “Firefox” in the search field using the on-screen keyboard.
- Navigate to the right side of the search field and select Firefox from the results list.
- Once you are on the Firefox channel page, click the Add Channel You might have to enter your Roku account PIN to confirm the addition of the channel, in case you have set it up for unauthorized usage.
When the Firefox channel is added successfully, click OK and return to the Roku home screen. You should see the Firefox channel on your channels list.
Now that you have the Firefox channel on your Roku device, you can follow the instructions in the section below to cast Dailymotion videos on Roku using the Firefox for Android app. If you don’t have it on your Android device, follow the steps below to install the browser.
- On your Android phone or tablet, go to the Play Store from the app drawer.
- Now tap the search bar above and enter “Firefox” using the keyboard.
- Select Firefox Browser from the search results, then tap Install on the following app page. It shouldn’t take more than a minute or two to install.
Cast Dailymotion Videos on Roku with Firefox for Android
Before you start following the steps below to cast Dailymotion videos on Roku with the Firefox for Android app, make sure that your Roku is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Android phone or tablet. Assuming that everything is set up correctly, you can proceed to follow the instructions.
- First, launch the Firefox Browser on your Android device.
- Tap the search bar below the screen and go to dailymotion.com.
- Now search for a video that you want to play and tap it to start streaming.
- After that, tap the Cast icon in the player and select your Roku device name from the list.
Once the stream is successfully loaded, the video should start playing back on your TV connected to your Roku device. You can play and pause the video from the playback controls in the Firefox app on your Android device.
If the process above doesn’t work for you, launch the Firefox channel on your Roku device and try again.
Watch Dailymotion on Roku from PC or Laptop
Alternatively, you can use Roku’s screen mirroring capabilities to watch Dailymotion videos from your Windows PC or laptop. First, we will have to make sure that screen mirroring is enabled on your Roku device. Otherwise, this workaround won’t work for you. Here’s how:
- Go to the Settings menu from the Roku home screen.
- Now go to System and click Screen mirroring on the following page.
- Check if the screen mirroring mode is set to Prompt or Always allow.
Once you confirm that screen mirroring is enabled on your Roku, ensure that your PC or laptop is connected to the same home network as the Roku device, then follow the steps below to watch Dailymotion on Roku.
- First, open the Google Chrome browser from your desktop. If you don’t have it installed, visit google.com/chrome to download and install it on your computer.
- Next, click the URL bar above and go to dailymotion.com. You can log in with your Dailymotion account if you have one.
- Click the overflow (⋮) icon on the right end of the navigation bar, and select the Cast option from the action menu.
- Now click Sources in the Cast menu and select the Cast Desktop.
- After that, click the name of your Roku device in the Cast menu. In a few seconds, the desktop should get mirrored to your TV.
You can now playback any video you want from Dailymotion on Chrome and watch it on your big screen via Roku.
Do I have to Log in to Dailymotion to Watch Videos on Roku?
Logging in to Dailymotion is entirely optional unless you already have a Dailymotion account and follow the channels that you prefer to watch videos from.
Since we are not using a native Dailymotion channel on Roku, it’s totally up to you whether you should log in to the service or not.
However, you won’t be able to follow a channel, give a like to a video, or add it to your watchlist without signing in to your Dailymotion account.
Read – How to Get VLC on Roku
In this guide, we have discussed several workarounds that you can follow to watch Dailymotion on Roku. As long as you have decent Wi-Fi coverage in your house, the stream quality will be crisp and clear as you would expect.
In case you encounter errors when trying to cast or mirror Dailymotion videos on Roku from your Android or Windows device, make sure that your devices are in the nearest proximity from your Wi-Fi router.
The screen mirroring feature is available on almost all the current-gen Roku players, set-top boxes, and smart TVs with Roku built-in, except for the Roku Express (3700) and Roku Express+ (3710) models.