In this guide, we will discuss Discovery Plus on Roku and show how to add and activate it on your Roku streaming player. We will also give you a detailed overview of the Discovery+ Roku channel.
Factual and lifestyle television network Discovery made its entry into the world of subscription-based streaming last year. The Discovery+ service was first introduced in India with an extensive back catalog of original Discovery shows and new exclusive series.
On January 4, 2021, the service launched in the United States with more original programming. It’s also located in different parts of Europe and Asia-Pacific regions. Although Discovery+ was available on mobile devices and Android TV since its initial debut, Roku and Amazon Fire TV were recently added to the list of supported devices as part of the service’s global expansion.
This isn’t Discovery’s first rodeo in the streaming business. The Discovery Channel and its other linear sister networks were already available on Roku and other devices as complimentary TV Everywhere services.
However, Discovery+ is the network’s first streaming platform with a prepaid subscription model. Unlike Discovery GO, it doesn’t ask users to have a cable or satellite connection.
What can you watch on Discovery Plus Roku Channel?
Discovery+ has a massive library of factual and lifestyle content. It offers over 55,000 episodes of 2,500+ shows from Discovery’s digital and linear networks, including the Discovery Channel, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Food Network, HGTV, OWN, TLC, Science Channel, DIY Network, and Travel Channel.
In the United States, the service also carries a selection of non-fiction programs from A&E, Lifetime, and HISTORY channels, along with BBC’s award-winning natural history docuseries and feature films.
Besides the aforementioned ever-expanding catalog of shows, Discovery+ gives you access to original programs as well. Some of the launch titles include Mysterious Planet, Extreme Everest, Ghost Adventures: Cecil Hotel, UFO Witness, Fixer Upper: Welcome Home, Bobby and Giada in Italy, Chopped Sweets, Love Games, 90 Day Fiancé: Tow Strikes Back, Onision: In Real Life, American Detective with Lt. Joe Kenda, and dozens more. According to recent reports, the service plans to premiere over a thousand hours of original content in 2021.
As we mentioned in the introduction, Discovery+ doesn’t require a TV provider login, unlike its TV Everywhere counterparts. All you need is a monthly Discovery+ subscription to enjoy its offering on Roku. In the United States, the ad-supported plan costs $4.99/month, whereas the streaming service asks $6.99/month for the ad-free plan. Note that the price vastly varies in other regions.
- The Discovery+ Roku channel opens the door to an expansive library of real-life entertainment titles from Discovery, its sister channels, and partner networks.
- Most of its on-demand content is available for streaming in up to 1080p resolution. However, you can stream select shows and documentaries in 4K (2160p) quality.
- Discovery+ allows you to set up five individual profiles per account. Content recommendations and watchlists are personalized for every profile.
- You can enable closed caption for everything in the Discovery Plus Roku channel. It lets you adjust the caption color and background, as well as the font and font size.
- The monthly price for ad-supported and ad-free tiers is reasonable. You don’t need a TV login to access the Discovery+ library.
How to Add Discovery Plus on Roku
Provided that you have your Roku account credentials, all you have to do is go to the Discovery Plus channel description page on Roku Channel Store from a new browser tab and click the Add channel button. Once you finish signing in to the same account as the one linked to your Roku device, the Discovery+ channel will get added to it automatically.
You can also add the following channel directly from your Roku device by performing the steps below.
- Press the Home (⌂) button on your Roku remote to go to the Home screen if you haven’t already.
- Next, scroll down the Home screen and click the Streaming Channels.
- Browse through the Featured section and find the Discovery Plus Roku channel. In case you can’t see it, click the Search Channels option in the sidebar.
- Now use the on-screen keyboard to search for the “Discovery Plus” It should show up on the top of the results panel as you type it.
- Move to the results panel on the right and select the Discovery Plus Roku channel.
- Once you are on the Channel Store page for Discovery Plus, click Add channel. If your Roku account is PIN-protected, you will need to confirm it to add the channel.
- Click OK once Discovery Plus is added to your Roku device.
To launch the Discovery+ channel on Roku, return to the Home screen and scroll to the bottom of the channel grid. You can move it to the top row by pressing the asterisk (✱) button on the remote and clicking Move channel.
How to Sign up for Discovery Plus
To access Discovery+ on Roku, you will need to sign up for an account and pay for the subscription first. Here’s what you have to do:
- First, head over to www.discoveryplus.com from a new browser tab, then go down and click Start Free Trial.
- Next, select your preferred Discovery+ plan (ad-supported/ad-free) and click Continue to proceed to the account creation page.
- Enter your email and password on the following screen, then click Agree and Continue. Make sure to complete the captcha correctly.
- Now fill in your billing info (credit card details) and click Agree and Continue at the bottom. You can also proceed with PayPal as a payment method.
Once the system verifies the provided billing information, it will immediately activate your 7-day free trial for the Discovery+ streaming service. Note that you will get charged for the chosen subscription plan once the trial ends. You can also cancel the subscription before the expiration of the free trial.
Steps to Activate Discovery Plus on Roku
Once you have your account and subscription, it takes no effort to activate the Discovery Plus Roku channel. Simply follow the steps below.
- Open the Discovery Plus channel from the Roku home screen.
- After that, click the Sign In button on the Discovery+ welcome page.
- Enter your account credentials on the following screen and click Sign In once again.
Assuming you enter the correct details, you should get the option to create and choose a profile. Once you do that, you will see the Home page of the Discovery+ channel. Use the Roku remote to browse through the content library and navigate between different menus.
An Overview of Discovery Plus Roku Channel
The Discovery Plus Roku channel has a minimal user interface that provides unintrusive access to different menus, including Home, My List, Browse, Search, and Account. The Manage Profiles option in the sidebar lets you switch and manage your profiles.
The Home page offers personal recommendations, trending shows, documentaries, and a straightforward way to filter the content by your favorite Discovery networks.
You can also sort the recommendations by picking up your preferred genre from above the Home page, such as Food, Lifestyle, Adventure & Exploration, Documentaries, Paranormal & Unexplained, Nature & Animals, Science & Technology, Automotive, and more.
When you select a show or documentary, click either “Start Watching” to play it or “+ My List” to add it to your watchlist. You can access the added content from the My List menu.
The Browse page lets you explore all the Discovery shows, multi-part documentaries, and original Discovery+ series the service has to offer right now. You can go to the Search menu in case you are looking for a particular title.
If you can’t find the option to enable closed captions in the Discovery+ Roku channel, look out for the CC icon at the bottom-right corner of the playback overlay.
If you are into adventure, crime, food, home improvement, lifestyle, nature, science, and technology-centric content, Discovery+ is a must-have streaming channel on your Roku device. The monthly subscription is moderately priced, and fresh new originals are added pretty much every week.
Note that the Discovery Plus Roku channel doesn’t offer live television channel feeds. For that, you will have to add Discovery Go to your device and log in with a participating television provider.
The following Roku channel is compatible with Roku 1, 2, 3, 4, SE, LT, Roku Premiere, Premiere+, Roku Streaming Stick, Streaming Stick+, Roku Express, Express+, Roku Ultra, Ultra LT, Roku Streambar, and Roku TVs.