In this guide, we will show you how to get HBO Max on Roku. From adding the HBO Max channel to activating it on Roku, we will walk you through every bit of the process.
WarnerMedia’s HBO Max streaming service made its debut in May 2020, but they just couldn’t seem to come to an agreement with Roku. For months, the service missed the opportunity to expand among millions of active Roku users in the U.S. who rely on online streaming platforms for content consumption.
That changed when WarnerMedia finally hashed out a deal with Roku last December, allowing Roku users to natively stream HBO Max on their devices right before the release of Wonder Woman 1984. With its massive content catalog, WarnerMedia’s new streaming service has vast potential in the Roku market, as there are currently over 51 million monthly active Roku users in the United States.
Considering how appealing HBO is as a brand, HBO Max’s exclusive streaming rights to shows like The Big Bang Theory and Friends and the release of all Warner Bros. movies on the platform alongside theaters seem pretty compelling to the average Roku user. Chances are you also want to give HBO Max’s streaming library a try, bringing you here eventually.
What does the HBO Max on Roku Offer?
The HBO Max Roku channel gives you native access to over ten thousand hours of quality movies, TV shows, documentaries, kids’ shows, and animated content. Most of its newer movie premieres are now also available in 4K HDR.
Whether it’s that one interesting season from Friends, The Big Bang Theory, Doctor Who, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Gossip Girl, South Park, or the latest Max Originals like Raised by Wolves, Love Life, Generation, The Flight Attendant, and Adventure Time: Distant Lands– You can now stream all your favorites on Roku with an HBO Max subscription. On top of that, you get to watch the upcoming Warner Bros. films right on their release dates.
Its entire library is built upon WarnerMedia’s first-party content providers, including HBO, The CW, New Line Cinema, Cartoon Network, Crunchyroll Turner Entertainment, TBS, TNT, Warner Bros, and dozens more.
Besides, the service also carries thousands of hours of on-demand content from third-party providers like BBC Studios, Sesame Workshop, Comedy Central, ITV, DreamWorks, Paramount Pictures, Universal Pictures, Walt Disney Pictures, etc.
It’s worth mentioning that HBO Max costs $14.99/month. There are no other subscription tiers with better features or an affordable ad-supported plan. However, it’s subject to change in the future.
- You get to stream 10,000+ hours of movies, shows, and originals on-demand on HBO Max.
- Recommendations are personalized based on the shows you watch, and real people curate the collections.
- The HBO Max Roku channel lets you create up to five viewer profiles. Each of them offers a personalized experience.
- You can watch the latest films and series in up to 4K HDR and Dolby Vision. It works only on Roku Premiere, Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Ultra (4800X), and 4K Roku TV models.
- Closed captioning is available on the HBO Max Roku channel, and you can customize the font, color, size, background opacity, etc.
- You get robust parental control options, with individual rating controls for movies and TV shows.
How to Watch HBO Max on Roku
If you have never tried to add a channel to your Roku device, it’s actually a straightforward process. All you have to do is follow the below instructions to add the HBO Max Roku channel.
- To begin with, go to the Streaming Channels menu from the Roku Home page.
- Once you are on the Channel Store, scroll down to the Movies and TV section and select HBO Max in the list of popular streaming channels.
If you can’t find the channel in the following section, go to the Search Channels menu and use the keyboard to enter “HBO Max” in the field. It should appear immediately in the results.
- After that, click Add Channel on HBO Max’s description page. Confirm your Roku PIN if prompted.
- When it’s done, click OK to dismiss the dialog box, and then press the Home button on the remote to go back to the Home page.
You can also add the HBO Max channel to your device from the following HBO Max Channel Store website. Click the Add channel button and log into your Roku account– It’s just a matter of a few steps.
Ensure that your Roku player or TV is running the latest version of Roku OS, in case you don’t see HBO Max in the Channel Store. Also, delete the older HBO or HBO Now channel before you install the new one.
How to Sign up for HBO Max
If you haven’t signed up for HBO Max yet, follow the steps below. While you pay for it directly from your Roku device, we highly recommend getting the subscription from the official website so that you can use it with your other devices as well.
- Visit hbomax.com from your browser and click where it says “Sign Up Now.”
- Proceed with either the monthly or semi-annual plan and click Continue.
- Enter your name, email address, and a strong password for your HBO Max account.
- Add your preferred payment method, enter your billing information, and click Start Subscription.
Once you get charged for the HBO Max subscription and verify your account email, you are ready to activate HBO Max on Roku. In case there’s a free trial available for you, note that you will be charged for the subscription right after the end of the trial period.
How to Activate HBO Max Channel on Roku
To activate the HBO Max Roku channel, you need to log in with your HBO Max account credentials. We have described the whole process in detail below.
- Launch the HBO Max channel from the channels grid on your Roku Home page.
- Click the Sign In option on the welcome page. If you see the content catalog instead, try to play a movie or show.
- Now enter the email and password for your HBO Max account using the on-screen keyboard.
- Finally, click Sign In to log into the HBO Max Roku channel and activate it.
It’s worth mentioning that there are other ways to get access to the HBO Max library on Roku. If you get HBO Max from your TV, mobile, or internet provider, click the “Sign in through TV or Mobile Provider” option on the welcome page. After that, you need to go to hbomax.com/tvsignin and follow the on-screen instructions.
At the time of writing, you can purchase an HBO Max subscription via AT&T TV, DirecTV, AT&T U-Verse, WatchTV, as well as Xfinity, Hulu, and YouTube TV. Former HBO Now users can also log in to HBO Max with their old account credentials.
A Quick Overview of HBO Max On Roku
The HBO Max Roku channel has an intuitive user interface, making it really easy to navigate around with the Roku remote. Once you create a viewer profile and select it, you will immediately notice the content library on the screen with a handful of options in the left sidebar: Search, Home, Movies, Series, Browse, and Hubs. You also get the options to switch and manage your profiles from the sidebar.
The Home screen features carousels of different content categories and collections. It allows you to scroll through new TV show episodes, featured movies, popular/trending content, and more. It adapts to your watching activities to provide you personalized suggestions.
The Movies and Series pages give you access to all the on-demand content HBO Max has to offer. You can cycle through the top row of filter options (e.g., Featured, Just Added, A-Z, Originals, Documentaries, and different genres) to discover your preferred content. When you know what exactly you want to stream from the service, you can go to either Search or the Browse page.
The Hubs section highlights HBO Max’s main content collections, including HBO, Max Originals, DC, Sesame Workshop, Turner Classic Movies, Studio Ghilbi, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll (anime), and Looney Tunes.
Before you start streaming a movie or show, you can click the + icon to add it to your watchlist, as well as change the subtitle language directly from the description page. Furthermore, closed captioning options are accessible from the playback bar.
Get HBO Max on Roku with AirPlay
If you have an iPhone, iPad, or Mac device, you can use the HBO Max app to play your favorite movies and shows remotely to your AirPlay 2-compatible Roku device. You won’t even have to add the HBO Max channel to your Roku device or use the remote to browse the catalog! The following steps will show you what you need to do:
Now that you have an active subscription, you are pretty much ready to stream HBO Max on Roku via AirPlay. Here’s how:
- First, check whether your iPhone or iPad device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Roku player or TV.
- After that, launch the HBO Max app. You need to be signed in to access the streaming library.
- Choose a movie or show you wish to watch, then tap the AirPlay icon in the top-right corner of the player.
- Select your Roku player or TV from the list of compatible devices.
You should now be able to watch the HBO Max content on your Roku device. Furthermore, you can use the app’s playback options to play/pause, skip, and rewind through the stream.
If you are using a Mac, go to the official HBO Max website from Safari, click the AirPlay icon in the top menu bar, then choose your Roku device. Once your Mac screen gets mirrored to your TV, you can playback your favorite content from HBO Max on your Roku.
Enjoy HBO Max on Roku
We hope this guide has helped you add and activate HBO Max on Roku. The following service on par with other platforms like Netflix, Prime Video, and Hulu in terms of content variety and streaming features, and its subscription price is reasonably affordable.
Considering that HBO Max is bringing dozens of theatrical blockbuster releases to your living room this year, now would be an excellent time to stock up on snacks and beverages!