If you have a Roku player or TV, there are a few ways you can enjoy watching IPL on Roku. This article will tell you everything you need to know about the Roku channels offering Indian Premier League broadcasts.
Last year’s Indian Premier League or IPL 13 saw indefinite delays throughout 2020. But its return in September shattered previous records in terms of viewership reach and overall viewing time. The Twenty20 cricket league had a cumulative reach of 405 million viewers just in India, almost half of Indian TV viewers.
The 2021 Indian Premier League is now also here, with eight teams participating in a double round-robin tournament format. Its season schedule includes Delhi Capitals, Chennai Super Kings, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Rajasthan Royals, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Kolkata Knight Riders, Punjab Kings, and the defending champion team, Mumbai Indians. No new team has made its debut in IPL 14.
There is absolutely no denying that IPL is a phenomenal hit in India. However, it has gained significant traction in western countries among passionate cricket fans in the last few years. It’s now available in several countries over cable and streaming services, including the United States and Canada.
Watch IPL on Roku in the US / CA with Hotstar
In the United States and Canada, Hotstar has official streaming rights to the 2021 Indian Premier League. You can tune in to the IPL T20 matches live, as well as stream the replays and highlights on-demand by paying for either the monthly or annual subscription. Of course, the pricing varies depending on where you live.
Thankfully, Hotstar is officially supported on Roku devices. If you don’t know how to add and activate the channel on your Roku player or TV, we highly recommended following the below instructions.
Guide to Add Hotstar to Roku
The fastest way to add Hotstar to your Roku device is to visit the Hotstar channel page on the Roku Channel Store. All you need to do is select Add channel and sign in with your Roku account details.
If you have your Roku device booted up, you can also perform the following steps to add the Hotstar channel.
- First, make sure your Roku has access to your home internet connection.
- Use the Roku remote to scroll down the Home screen and select Streaming Channels.
- Scroll down the next screen again and click Search Channels to open the search menu.
- Type “Hotstar” in the search field with the on-screen keyboard, then select the top result in the results bar.
- Click the Add channel option once you are on the Hotstar Channel Store page.
(You may need to verify your PIN for your Roku account to add the channel.)
- When Hotstar is successfully added to your channels list, click OK and go back to the Home screen.
The Hotstar channel will appear at the bottom of your Home screen’s channels list. You can move it to the top by pressing the Options (✱) button on the Roku remote and clicking the Move channel option.
Signing up for a Hotstar Subscription
Before you open Hotstar on Roku, we advise you to sign up for the subscription. Here’s how to do it:
- Open a fresh tab in your computer/mobile web browser and visit www.hotstar.com.
- Click or tap the Subscribe button above, then choose your plan and select Start Subscription.
- Now type in all the required details and click Create Account to create your personal Hotstar account.
- Ensure to enter a unique password to prevent account theft.
- Once you are on the payments page, enter your credit/debit card
Upon successful billing, Hotstar will send you an email regarding your subscription details. You can now log in with your account to the Hotstar Roku channel and stream the IPL matches.
Steps to activate the Hotstar Roku channel
Once you have your account and subscription, activating the Hotstar Roku channel is quite simple. The activation process goes as follows:
- Launch the Hotstar channel from your Roku Home screen.
- Next, an activation code should show up on the welcome page. Note it down somewhere if needed, and then go to hotstar.com/activate from your browser.
- Enter the code shown on the Hotstar Roku channel and click Continue.
- Finally, sign in with your Hotstar account details to finish the activation process.
And that’s it! When you see the Hotstar channel’s Home page, you should be able to pick up the live IPL stream from the featured row and start watching. Alternatively, you can search for match highlights and replays from the Sports or Search menu.
- Ever since The Walt Disney Company acquired Hotstar parent’s company, the Hotstar streaming service has been rebranded to Disney+ Hotstar in India. If you happen to have access to a Disney+ Hotstar subscription, you can’t use it to sign into the Hotstar Roku channel.
- Hotstar is also available in the United Kingdom, where the service has the streaming rights to every IPL 14 match. However, UK Roku users still can’t add the Hotstar channel from the Roku Channel Store at the time of writing.
- There’s no AirPlay support on the Hotstar mobile app on iPhone and iPad, so you won’t be able to mirror the IPL streams to your AirPlay 2-compatible Roku player or TV. Note that it’s subject to change in the future.
Watch IPL on Roku in the US with Willow
Willow is the only 24/7 cricket channel in the United States and Canada. It has broadcasting rights to dozens of international and regional cricket tournaments, including the Indian Premier League or IPL.
If you have the Willow TV channel included in your cable or satellite pay television package, you can rely on your provider credentials to sign in to the Willow Roku channel and watch IPL matches live on your Roku device. At the time of writing, only a handful of American providers allow users to activate the Willow TV Everywhere channel on Roku:
Provided that your cable or satellite package is from one of the following providers, it’s as simple as logging in with your TV provider from the Willow channel’s Settings menu. You can add Willow to your Roku channels list from the Channel Store.
Willow also offers a monthly and annual subscription for cord-cutters, but it doesn’t provide access to IPL streams. It’s because the Hotstar United States and Canada currently have exclusive streaming rights to the Indian Premier League.
It’s worth mentioning that Sling subscribers with the Willow TV channel in their OTT package also can’t watch IPL due to streaming rights restrictions.
Watch IPL on Roku in the UK with NOW TV
Sky Sports, UK’s leading sports channel, agreed to a three-year contract with the Indian Premier League broadcaster last year to air the cricket tournament until 2022 in the British households. Fortunately, you won’t need an expensive Sky or BT TV connection to enjoy the IPL broadcasts on the big screen.
Assuming you live in the United Kingdom, all you need is a Sky Sports Month Pass from the NOW TV streaming service. It offers access to 11 live Sky Sports channels, alongside 1000+ hours of highlights and on-demand documentaries. You can stream them all in high-definition via the NOW TV Roku channel.
Since NOW TV is a subscription-based streaming service, you don’t need to commit to a long-term contract or pay a premium for the channels you don’t watch.
This is how you can watch IPL on Roku. If you are a fan of the following Twenty20 league, consider getting a Hotstar subscription or signing in to the Willow TV Everywhere channel on your Roku device. Those who are from the United Kingdom must purchase a NOW TV Sky Sports Pass to enjoy IPL matches.
The steps to adding and activating the Hotstar channel apply to all Roku devices. It includes Roku Premiere, Ultra, Streaming Stick, Streambar, plus all Roku TVs and soundbars.