Roku happens to be one of the many streaming media platforms that allow users to stream content from the Motor Trend channel. If you find the channel’s programming interesting, follow this guide to add and activate Motor Trend on Roku.
If you are a fan of motorsports and automobile-centric shows, you probably already know about the Motor Trend channel. Originally known as Velocity, its parent network Discovery Inc. rebranded the channel as Motor Trend in 2018. The whole rebrand took place in partnership with the American automobile magazine of the same name.
Even though Motor Trend targets a niche viewership, it has a massive following on YouTube and social media services. The cable channel currently reaches over 88% of American households, but it gets hundreds of millions of views across the web.
One reason behind Motor Trend’s popularity is its TV Everywhere service, formerly known as Velocity GO. Although Motor Trend has replaced it with its own streaming service, you can still enjoy your favorite automotive-themed programs on-demand, and motorsports events live across a variety of devices.
- 1 What does the Motor Trend Roku Channel offer?
- 2 How to Add Motor Trend on Roku?
- 3 How to Sign Up for a Motor Trend Subscription?
- 4 How to Activate Motor Trend Roku Channel?
- 5 A Quick Rundown on Motor Trend Roku Channel
- 6 Can you watch Motor Trend on Roku with Cable?
- 7 Watch Motor Trend on Roku for free
- 8 Watch Motor Trend TV Channel on Roku without Cable
- 9 Finishing up
What does the Motor Trend Roku Channel offer?
The Motor Trend channel on Roku offers access to thousands of hours of exclusive automobile series, originals, live motorsports events, replays, and more content from the Motor Trend Network– all without a cable or satellite pay-TV connection.
You get to stream exclusive originals like Hot Rod Garage, Faster with Finnegan, Roadkill, Restoration Garage, Wheels That Fail, alongside all your favorite Motor Trend shows, including Wheeler Dealers, Bitchin’ Rides, All Girls Garage, Garage Rehab, Fast N’ Loud, Overhaulin’, etc.
The Motor Trend channel also offers the biggest collection of Top Gear content. You can watch the new Top Gear America reboot, as well as hundreds of classic Top Gear episodes from seasons 1-27. Additional episodes from Top Gear: Extra Gear, Best of Top Gear, and Top Gear UK Specials are available in the collection.
In addition to all the Motor Trend shows and original series, you can also tune into live 24 Hours of Le Mans and 1000 Miles of Sebring broadcasts, along with made-for-TV films and documentaries from the network. It even provides access to behind-the-scenes clips.
You can log into the Motor Trend Roku channel with the $4.99 monthly standalone subscription. If you already have access to Motor Trend via your cable/satellite/OTT television provider, check out the later section.
How to Add Motor Trend on Roku?
Motor Trend’s live and on-demand streaming service is available across various devices. Fortunately, you can get it on Roku as a channel from the Channel Store.
In order to add Motor Trend on Roku, all you have to do is go to the Motor Trend Channel Store page, click Add channel, and log in with your Roku account credentials. Alternatively, go through the below instructions to do it directly from your Roku device.
- First, scroll down the Roku home screen and go to Streaming Channels.
- Now select Search Channels in the sidebar and use the on-screen keyboard to type “Motor Trend” in the field.
- After that, choose MotorTrend – Stream Car Shows from the results panel on the right.
- Click Add channel on the following Channel Store page. Enter your Roku PIN if needed.
- Finally, click OK when you see the “Channel added” dialog box.
You can now press the Home button on your Roku remote to return to the home screen and launch the Motor Trend channel from your channels list. To move it from the bottom row to the top, press the Options (✱) button on the remote and click Move channel.
How to Sign Up for a Motor Trend Subscription?
If you have cut your cable or satellite TV connection, we recommend paying for the $4.99 monthly or $44.99 annual standalone Motor Trend plan to enjoy its live and on-demand content on Roku. Here’s what you have to do:
- Start with visiting motortrendondemand.com from your browser.
- Next, click the Join Free For 7 Days button on the upper-right hand corner of the screen.
- Enter your email address and a unique password on the account creation page and click Continue.
- Now choose your preferred Motor Trend plan (Monthly or Yearly) on the next screen.
- After that, select your payment method and enter your banking credentials if required.
- At last, review your subscription and click the Start Membership.
Once the system verifies your payment method, it will activate your Motor Trend subscription immediately. Motor Trend offers a 7-day free trial for new subscribers, so it will charge you for the chosen plan right after the trial period expires.
How to Activate Motor Trend Roku Channel?
Activating the Motor Trend Roku channel with your subscription is a relatively straightforward process. Perform the following steps below to do it with ease.
- Open the Motor Trend channel from the Roku home screen.
- Click the Sign In button on the welcome screen. It will leave you with two options: “Use a computer/mobile” and “Sign in on this device.”
- If you proceed with the first option, an activation screen will show up. Note down the given code and go to the following website from your browser: www.motortrendondemand.com/activate
The second option lets you directly enter your account credentials with the on-screen keyboard, but typing with Roku remote slows you down.
- Enter the activation code in the website’s empty field and click Apply.
- Finally, log into your Motor Trend account and finish the activation process.
Voila! You should now be able to stream your favorite programs on-demand and tune into live motorsports broadcasts from the Motor Trend Roku channel as long as your subscription is active.
A Quick Rundown on Motor Trend Roku Channel
The Motor Trend Roku channel has a simple interface, with all the navigation menus accessible from the left sidebar. It includes Home, Discover, My List, Search, and Account.
- Home: It gives you a unified look at featured shows, new releases, latest episodes, popular series, live events, personalized collections, and many other rows. You can also quickly pick up an episode right where you left off earlier.
- Discover: This is where you get to browse through Motor Trend’s original and acquired shows, as well as replays of various motorsports events and behind-the-scenes extras.
- My List: It’s basically a watchlist that lets you pick up shows and other content you marked as a favorite from Motor Trend’s on-demand library.
- Search: You can search for a particular program, episode, or event from this menu.
- Account: It allows you to check your subscription validity and sign out from the Motor Trend Roku channel.
If you want to enable closed captions when streaming from the Motor Trend Roku channel, click the Options (✱) button on the Roku remote and enable Closed Captioning. Note that the channel currently only provides English captions.
Can you watch Motor Trend on Roku with Cable?
If you happen to have the Motor Trend channel included with your cable, satellite, or even over-the-top live TV subscription, add MT GO to your Roku device instead. Like the former Velocity GO service, it provides existing pay-TV subscribers access to Motor Trend Network’s complimentary TV Everywhere library.
In order to activate the MT GO channel on Roku, head over to http://watch.motortrend.com/activate from your browser, enter the activation code, and hit Activate. After that, all is left for you is to choose your TV provider from the list and enter your provider account information.
Unlike the Motor Trend Roku channel, MT GO offers only a limited catch-up library. However, you get to watch the 24/7 live Motor Trend TV channel stream, which also has commercial breaks.
Watch Motor Trend on Roku for free
Motor Trend has its own YouTube channel where clips from the latest episodes are uploaded daily. It has over six million subscribers, and everyone can enjoy the videos without paying for a monthly or annual subscription.
To watch the clips on your Roku device, add YouTube from the Channel Store, launch it, and follow the on-screen prompts to link your Google account. Once you subscribe to the MotorTrend Channel on YouTube, you can access new uploads from the Subscriptions menu.
It’s worth noting that you don’t get to stream the full episodes or live motorsports telecasts. For that, you need to subscribe to Motor Trend’s on-demand streaming service.
Watch Motor Trend TV Channel on Roku without Cable
The 24/7 Motor Trend TV channel is inaccessible to those who are subscribed to Motor Trend’s premium on-demand streaming service. Furthermore, you will have to rely on the MT GO Roku channel for a more linear TV experience, which requires signing in with a participating television provider.
If you don’t have a cable or satellite subscription for a login, consider purchasing a subscription from one of the following over-the-top live TV providers instead:
- Philo (Cheapest option)
- Hulu with Live TV
- YouTube TV
- Sling TV (Sling Orange plan)
- fuboTV (Family and Elite plans)
- AT&T TV (All packages)
Bear in mind that the above live TV providers have their official Roku channel and app on other platforms, allowing you to get the most out of your monthly plan. However, you can use your OTT subscription (except Sling TV) to sign into the MT GO channel on Roku as well.
More Roku Articles
Velocity GO is no more, but it has been replaced by Motor Trend’s subscription-based streaming service. If you wish to stream your favorite automobile-centric programs on Roku, you can follow this step-by-step guide to add and activate the Motor Trend channel without a cable or satellite TV connection.
The Motor Trend and MT GO Roku channels are compatible with 3rd-gen and newer Roku streaming players. You can also add them to your Roku TV and Soundbar by following the instructions above.