The following step by step guide will show you how to activate and watch NBC on Roku.
The NBC Roku channel and the live TV services in this guide are compatible with all the current-gen Roku devices, including but not limited to Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Express, Roku Premiere, Roku Ultra, Roku Streambar, Roku TVs, Roku Smart Soundbar, etc.
Alongside ABC and CBS, NBC (National Broadcasting Company) is one of the oldest American television networks. Millions of viewers across the country tune in to NBC to watch its primetime and daytime programming, especially during Sunday Night Football games.
NBC is quite famous for its scripted and non-scripted TV shows, as well as daily news telecasts and late-night programming. Some of the top-rated American television content has been produced and broadcasted by the network, which many of you already know.
NBC is available across all cable and satellite TV services in the United States, with a national reach of over 90% of all households. It has a broader reach in the streaming market as well, thanks to NBCUniversal’s commitment to the TV Everywhere initiative.
On the other side, Roku has a massive active userbase of 43 million just in the U.S., meaning that there’s a considerable amount of people willing to stream NBC and other live channels online.
For them, we have prepared this guide to stream NBC on Roku. Besides helping existing cable or satellite pay-TV subscribers, we have also listed a few live TV streaming services offering NBC and its sister channels for cord-cutters.
Watch NBC on Roku with the Official NBC Roku Channel
NBC’s TV Everywhere service is officially available on the Roku Channel Store. You can use it to stream the latest episodes of your favorite NBC TV shows the day after the television broadcast. However, you can also sign in with your television provider and watch NBC live on Roku.
The NBC Roku channel also offers on-demand TV series from the network’s sister channels, such as Bravo, E!, Oxygen, SYFY, USA, etc. Furthermore, you can stream the channels live as long as they are included with your TV package.
Here are some of the shows you can watch via the NBC Roku channel: This Is Us, Transplant, Good Girl, Manifest, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Superstore, America’s Got Talent, The Voice, Weakest Link, Saturday Night Live, Chicago Med, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, The Blacklist, Law & Order: SVU, and many more.
You will also find a respectable back-catalog of NBC’s classic TV shows and stream them on-demand.
Since this is a TV Everywhere service, cord-cutters will have to sign up for a participating live TV provider to get full access to the official NBC Roku channel. More on that later.
Features of the NBC Roku Channel
- The NBC Roku channel makes the latest TV show episodes available for on-demand streaming the next day after the television broadcast.
- You get access to the 24/7 NBC TV feed and additional channels, plus full coverage of live news programming from the network.
- Closed captioning can be enabled on select live and on-demand programs.
- You can sign in with your NBCUniversal profile to keep your content preferences, personalized recommendations, and watch history in sync across other services and platforms.
- Roku users won’t have to pay additional fees to use the NBC Roku channel (TV subscription mandatory).
How to Add NBC Channel on Roku?
As mentioned previously, you can get the NBC channel from the Roku Channel Store. The easiest way to add it to your Roku device is to go to this link, click the Add channel option, then log in to your Roku account.
However, those who want to do it directly from their Roku device can follow the steps below.
- First, navigate down to the Streaming Channels option on the Roku Home screen and click it.
- Now select Search Channels from the following menu and type in “NBC” using the on-screen keyboard.
- Next, move to the right portion of the search interface to highlight and click the NBC.
- On the Channel Store page, click Add channel and wait for NBC to get added to your channels list. If you have set up a PIN for your Roku account, a dialog box will prompt you to enter it.
After the NBC channel is successfully added, click OK to close the dialog box and return to the Roku Home screen. You can now go to the end of your channels list to open the NBC Roku channel.
If you want to move the channel to the first row of your channels list, press the (✱) button on the remote and click the Move channel option.
How to Activate NBC on Roku?
This section of this guide has detailed step-by-step instructions to activate the NBC channel on Roku. If you have your TV provider account details, simply do the following:
- Start with opening the NBC channel from the Roku Home screen.
- Once you are on NBC’s Home page, move up to the navigation tabs and highlight More.
- From the following menu, select and click My Profile. You will be asked to log in with either your TV provider or NBCUniversal profile.
- Assuming that you don’t have an NBCUniversal profile, click Sign In next to it. A unique activation code will be generated for you.
- On your current browser, open a new tab and visit nbc.com/activate, then enter the activation code shown on the NBC Roku channel and click Continue.
- After that, click Sign Up under the NBCUniversal profile login page, then proceed with the Sign Up with Email
- Enter your personal details in the respective fields and accept to NBCUniversal’s policies. Once you do it, click Sign Up once again.
- The following page will prompt you to link your TV provider account. Click Yes.
- Select your TV provider from the massive list, which will then redirect you to your provider’s login website.
- Enter your account information to log in to your provider’s site, then authorize access to the NBC Roku channel.
That’s pretty much everything you have to do for activating the NBC Roku channel. Assuming that you have followed all the steps correctly, you should now have full access to the live NBC channel and its on-demand offerings.
A Quick Overview of NBC Roku Channel
The NBC Roku channel has five different sections: Home, Shows, LIVE, Networks, and More. Additionally, a search option is also present, which you can access by highlighting the magnifying glass icon.
The Home page is what you would see when you launch the NBC Roku channel. It mostly consists of personalized content recommendations and lists of curated categories based on your watch history. It also gives you quick access to the TV show episodes you were watching before.
From Shows, you can browse through the exhaustive list of shows and additional on-demand content from NBC and its sister channels. Furthermore, you can filter out the content by different genres and categories. If you want to stream shows from the NBC channel only, visit the Networks page instead.
The LIVE section gives you access to a full-fledged TV guide for NBC and other NBCUniversal channels. From here, you can playback the 24/7 NBC TV feed on your Roku.
The More section has a few options related to closed captions, NBCUniversal profile, and TV provider. You can also reset the NBC Roku channel from here.
Watch NBC on Roku without Cable
American over-the-top live TV services, such as AT&T TV NOW, fuboTV, Hulu, Sling, and YouTube TV, offers NBC and dozens of popular TV channels.
You can add all the services to your Roku device from the Roku Channel Store to watch the NBC channel without a cable or satellite TV subscription.
However, you will be required to pay for a monthly plan. Here’s more information about the services:
AT&T TV NOW
The NBC channel is included with the PLUS and MAX monthly package on the following service. You also get Bravo, E!, Oxygen, SYFY, and USA Network with the packages.
Additionally, subscribers can take advantage of the cloud DVR feature (limited to 500 hours) and stream the channels on up to three devices.
The fubo Standard, Family, and Elite plans provide NBC, NBC News, and every other NBCUniversal channels. Based on the plans and add-ons you select, you can record up to 1000 hours of TV programs and stream on five devices on the same network.
Hulu’s Hulu + Live TV subscription also includes NBC and its sister channels. It’s also relatively affordable compared to other live TV services, but you only get 50 hours of recording time and two device streams.
The Sling Blue plan packs NBC, NBC Sports, NBCSN, MSNBC, and additional NBCUniversal channels (except Oxygen). It’s the cheapest live TV plan in the bunch, and you still get ten hours of cloud DVR and three simultaneous streams.
YouTube TV has over 85 channels, and a small portion of it comes from the NBCUniversal network. It includes all of NBC’s entertainment, infotainment, news, and sports channels.
The subscription is quite expensive, albeit you get unlimited storage for DVR recordings. A single YouTube TV subscription can be shared across three devices at once, with up to six linked profiles.
With a monthly subscription from one of the following live TV services above, you can also activate the official NBC Roku channel. You can check out the activation process in this guide.
That’s everything you need to know for streaming NBC on Roku. This extensive step-by-step guide to adding and activating the NBC Roku channel took us a while to compile, and your feedback means a lot to us.
If you have family or friends using Roku devices, please share this guide with them as well.