In this post, you will find the steps on how to install Pluto TV on Roku. Pluto TV is available on Roku 1, 2, 3, 4, Roku SE, Roku Streaming Stick, and every other current-gen Roku devices. You can also get it on Roku TVs and soundbars.
Subscription-based video streaming and live TV services have changed the landscape of the television entertainment business forever. These services have hundreds and thousands of titles in its streaming library, not to mention the features, versatility, and affordability compared to traditional cable and VOD providers.
However, these services are also establishing a monopoly market and starting to raise the subscription price. On top of it, they are applying geo-restrictions to block specific content in select regions while still asking for the full price.
For example, YouTube TV has recently gone through a $15 price hike on its monthly subscription plan, apparently due to the addition of new channels that only a small percentage of subscribers watch.
However, a few companies have taken a different approach to making video streaming attractive to a broader audience. First, they acquire older titles from content providers, partner up with television networks, and then make on-demand content and live TV channels available on their platforms for free.
By running advertisements during stream playback, they can monetize their service without asking users to subscribe.
Pluto TV is one of those ad-supported streaming services, and it’s available on a wide range of devices. Those who happen to have a Roku device connected to their big screen can follow this guide to watch Pluto TV on Roku.
What does Pluto TV Offer to Roku Users?
Roku users can watch thousands of movies and TV shows on Pluto TV, plus 250+ linear TV channels for free. The service is owned by ViacomCBS, the owner of several television networks and film studios. As of the first quarter of 2020, Pluto TV has registered over 22 million monthly users, which is a little less than half of the Roku user base in the United States.
Pluto TV’s on-demand library consists of 100,000+ hours of programs, thanks to its deals with 170+ content providers, including popular cable channels and major film studios.
Some of the best show you can watch on the service include The Walking Dead, Scream Queens, Merlin, El Cartel, Under the Dome, MacGyver, Shameless, Midsomer Murders, Pawn Stars, Extant, Grounded For Life, Robin Hood, 24 Legacy, The Americans, Married At First Sight, Hell’s Kitchen, etc.
Popular anime like One Punch Man, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, and dozens of other animated content is available to stream on Pluto TV. Classics like Star Trek, Degrassi, Doctor Who, CSI, Mystery Science Theater 3000, and James Bond 007 are also included, but in the form of 24/7 channels on the service. In addition, Pluto TV has hundreds of old-school movies ranging between different genres.
Speaking of channels, Pluto TV has a lot of them, whether it’s entertainment, sports, or news. Here are a few highlights:
|CBSN||CNN||NBC News||Cheddar News||Bloomberg|
|Fox Sports||NFL Channel||Stadium||Major League Soccer||RedBull TV|
Note that some of the channels listed above are not the same as the linear TV channels with the same name.
The best thing about Pluto TV is that advertisements monetize everything on the platform. You don’t even have to sign up with your email address or enter billing information to access the content. The advertisements are tolerable, with three to four small commercial breaks in a half-hour watch.
- You can stream 1000+ movies and TV shows on-demand and 250+ live TV channels on Pluto TV.
- The streaming library is organized into several meaningful categories and genres.
- It’s possible to browse the catalog while watching a live or on-demand stream in PiP (Picture-in-Picture) mode.
- Roku users can stream their favorites above HD quality and enable closed captions from the player.
- Pluto TV is free of registrations and subscription plans.
How to Get Pluto TV on Roku?
Pluto TV has its official Roku channel on the Roku Channel Store. To link it to your Roku account, go to the Pluto TV Channel Store page and click the Add channel button. Once you log in to your Roku account, the channel will be linked to it, and you should see Pluto TV show up on the channels list on your Roku device.
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of logging into your Roku account via the web browser, follow the steps below to add Pluto TV from your Roku device directly.
- Start with powering on your Roku and connecting it to the internet.
- After that, scroll down to the Streaming Channels option on the Roku Home page and click it to open the Channel Store.
- Now scroll down once again to Search Channels on the following page.
- Use the Roku keyboard below the search field to enter “Pluto TV,” then go to the other side of the screen and click the Pluto TV channel in the results.
- Once you are on the Pluto TV channel page, click the Add channel It will take a minute or so for the channel to get added.
Important: If you have configured a PIN to restrict unauthorized access to your Roku account, you will need to confirm it to add Pluto TV.
When you get the success message, click OK to close the dialog box, then return to your Roku Home page. You will find Pluto TV at the end of the channels list.
While highlighting the channel, press ✱ on your Roku Remote and click Move channel to move Pluto TV above other channels you have added to your device.
How to Activate Pluto TV on Roku?
The Pluto TV activation process on Roku is relatively easy. The following steps will show you how to do it:
- First of all, launch Pluto TV on your Roku device.
- Now go to the Live TV channel guide and visit CH 02 from the list. A six-digit code should be displayed on the screen.
- After that, go to my.pluto.tv/activate/ from another device and click the Activate option (make sure that you are signed in).
- Enter the code and finalize the activation process by following the on-screen instructions.
That’s how you activate the Pluto TV Roku channel. You can now take advantage of all the benefits of having a Pluto TV account. However, it’s worth mentioning once again that the activation process is optional to follow.
Should you Sign Up for a Pluto TV Account?
As we previously stated above, signing in to Pluto TV is completely optional. However, if you want to have personalized content recommendations, resume watching something you didn’t finish to the end, or mark movies, shows, and channels as favorites, you should definitely register for a Pluto TV account. Here’s how:
- From a browser app on your PC or smartphone, go to pluto.tv, Pluto TV’s official website.
- Now click the Profile icon on the upper-right corner of the page, then click the ‘Sign up for Free’ A pop-up box will open up.
- In the box, enter your first name, email address, and year of birth to create your Pluto TV account. Make sure to use a secure password, which you can remember easily.
- Click the ‘Sign Up – Free’ button after filling up the form. Pluto TV will greet you with a welcome message.
You can now use your Pluto TV account to log in to the Roku channel. For more information, check out the next section below.
A Brief Overview of Pluto TV on Roku
Pluto TV on Roku has two navigation tabs on the top: Live TV and On Demand. The user interface is clutter-free, making it easier to navigate around.
The Live TV section has a channel guide that shows you the currently playing and upcoming programs on different channels. There’s also a list of channel categories on the side, including Featured, Movies, Entertainment, News + Opinion, Reality, Crime, Comedy, Classic TV, Home + DIY, Sports, Gaming + Anime, Music, Latino, Kids, etc.
The On Demand section is similar to the previous section, minus the channel guide. You can scroll through the vast list of categories, as well as quickly jump from one category to another from the sidebar.
If you are searching for a free live TV and on-demand streaming service, add Pluto TV to your Roku device and give it a try. While the content library isn’t as attractive as Netflix and Hulu’s offerings, Pluto TV offers the best you can have on an ad-supported platform.