Reddit is undoubtedly one of the internet’s most popular social news aggregation, discussion, and content rating websites, with over 52 million daily users worldwide. You can browse through millions of user-generated posts on various “subreddits,” which are individual community boards covering topics like entertainment, movies, news, science, games, technology, fitness, health, pets, sports, music, politics, memes, stocks, AMA, and more.
It’s also an image and video-sharing platform, so many of you Reddit users would love to view user-uploaded media on your big screen. Provided that you are reading this, chances are you plan to use your Roku streaming player or TV to watch Reddit videos. Fortunately, we got something useful for you.
Read on to discover how you can browse Reddit on Roku via a channel, and your phone or computer. The step-by-step instructions in this guide should also help you out.
Get FunBox for Reddit on Roku
The FunBox for Reddit is a Roku channel that allows you to visit your favorite subreddits and view images, videos, and GIFs. It also lets you read the thread comments and replies on individual posts as you would normally do on the Reddit mobile app or website.
Although it doesn’t support account login yet, you can subscribe to some of the most popular subreddits on various topics directly from the channel. Plus, FunBox for Reddit gives you the option to sort posts just like the official Reddit client.
This is a paid Roku channel, requiring you to pay a small one-time fee of $1.99. Although FunBox for Reddit has a free version, it’s quite limited in functionality and has in-channel advertisements. Note that the paid version doesn’t have any ads.
Steps to Install FunBox for Reddit on Roku
If you don’t know how to install new Roku channels, use the following steps to get the FunBox for Reddit channel on your Roku device:
- First, scroll down the Home screen on your Roku and select Streaming Channels.
- Next, head over to the Search Channels menu and use the on-screen keyboard to search for the “FunBox for Reddit” Roku channel.
- Choose FunBox for Reddit from the results bar. If you would like to try out the free version first, select FunBox for Reddit (Free)
- On the next page, click Buy $1.99 and authorize paying for the channel via Roku Pay.
If you opt for the free version, click Add channel and verify your Roku PIN.
- Once FunBox for Reddit is added to your channel list, click OK to close the confirmation dialog box.
You can launch FunBox for Reddit from your channel list on the Home screen. The channel itself is pretty straightforward to use, and you won’t have to go through any sort of activation process.
Get Reddit on Roku Using your Android Device
If you already use Reddit on your Android phone or tablet, you can cast its content on the big screen without much hassle using Roku’s screen mirroring feature. This way, you get a better view of the user-generated images and videos while still keeping the option to reply to posts and use other Reddit features.
Those who have never used screen mirroring before should check out the below requirements.
- On your Roku, go to Settings > System > Screen mirroring and make sure the Screen mirroring mode is set to Prompt or Always Allow.
- If you are unable to find the option, check if your Roku device supports screen mirroring and is updated to the latest Roku OS version.
- Your Roku player or TV must be connected to the same Wi-Fi router as your Android device.
- Your Android phone or tablet must be running Android 6.0 Marshmallow or higher, with the Reddit app updated to the latest version. Ignore if you use a third-party Reddit client.
Assuming you are ready to go, use these steps to mirror the Reddit Android app to your Roku:
- Open the Settings app on your Android device from the app drawer of the notification shade.
- Select Connected devices or Display in the Settings menu, then find the Cast or Screen mirroring.
(You can also find the option quickly from the search bar above the main Settings menu.)
- When you find your way to the screen mirroring menu on Android, enable the feature and wait for it to scan for nearby receivers.
- After that, select your Roku streaming player or TV from the scan list. Your Android device should immediately begin establishing a connection.
- On your Roku, click Allow when the screen mirroring request pops up on the screen.
- Once you see the Android device’s contents on the big screen, launch Reddit from the app drawer and enjoy browsing!
When mirroring the Android device’s screen to Roku, hold your Android phone or tablet in horizontal orientation so that it fills the black borders. Make sure to enable Auto-rotate from the notification shade or the settings.
Screen mirroring or Miracast has been natively available on Android ever since the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop. However, its availability depends on the device you use. Different manufacturers use different names to describe the mirroring feature, such as Smart View, Quick Connect, Wireless Display, and more.
Get Reddit on Roku using your iPhone or iPad
iPhone and iPads use Apple’s proprietary AirPlay wireless media streaming protocol for casting and screen mirroring. Only a handful of mid-range and high-end Roku players (e.g., Roku Premiere, Roku Ultra, Roku Streambar) and TVs currently support AirPlay, so you must have one of them to mirror the Reddit iPhone/iPad app on the big screen.
Furthermore, your AirPlay-compatible Roku device needs to be updated to the latest Roku OS version (9.4 or above) for screen mirroring to work. The same goes for your iPhone or iPad, which must be running iOS 11.4 or later.
Assuming your devices are updated and connected to the same network, perform the steps below to mirror the Reddit app to Roku.
- Open the Control Center by swiping down the top-right corner of your iPhone or iPad screen.
(If you use an iPhone SE, iPhone 8, or an older model, swipe up from the screen’s bottom edge to open the Control Center.)
- Tap Screen Mirroring in the Control Center, followed by selecting your Roku player or TV from the list of devices.
- After that, enter the AirPlay Code that appears on your TV and tap OK.
- Once your iPhone/iPad screen is mirrored to your Roku, close the Control Center and open Reddit from the Home screen.
We recommend disabling Portrait Orientation Lock from the Control Center so that you can browse Reddit in landscape mode and have a good time viewing the images and videos on the TV. When you are done, go back to the Screen Mirroring menu in Control Center and tap Stop Mirroring.
Although AirPlay is enabled by default on Roku OS 9.4, you may have to go to Settings > Apple AirPlay and HomeKit > AirPlay and HomeKit Settings and manually turn on the feature for screen mirroring to work.
Get Reddit on Roku Using your Computer
Those who use Reddit on a Windows or Mac computer can follow the detailed instructions below to get their home and popular feed displayed on Roku. Thankfully, it’s a matter of a few steps.
Generally, the browser version of Reddit shows more information than the mobile app, so you can view the images and watch the video at the highest possible quality.
- First, check if your Windows desktop or laptop is connected to the same Wi-Fi router as your Roku device.
- Open Action Center from the lower-right section of your desktop. The option is situated within the taskbar.
- Click Expand at the bottom to show all the quick action tiles, then select the Connect.
- Select your Roku device on the following menu, and Allow the mirroring request on your Roku.
- Once your Windows desktop is mirrored to your TV, launch the browser and go to www.reddit.com (old.reddit.com for the older layout).
When you wish to end your browsing session, simply open Action Center from the taskbar to disconnect.
MacBook, Mac mini, and iMac computers support screen mirroring over AirPlay, similar to iPhone and iPad. Again, you must have a compatible Roku device for mirroring to work, with Roku OS 9.4 (or newer) installed.
- Open Control Center from the menu bar on top of your Mac desktop screen.
- Select Screen Mirroring, then choose your Roku player or TV from the list of devices nearby.
- After that, type the AirPlay Code shown on your TV and press Enter.
- When your Mac desktop screen is displayed on your Roku, launch Safari (or your default web browser) and head over to reddit.com.
You can stop the mirroring from the Control Center when you want to take a break from browsing your favorite subreddits.
Read – How to Get Facebook on Roku
This guide contains some viable ways you can browse Reddit on Roku. For those who are wondering, the “Reddit Browser” channel doesn’t work anymore as it hasn’t been updated for a long time now. Instead, you can use the “FunBox for Reddit” Roku channel or follow the other workarounds mentioned above.
While you are here, be sure to leave your feedback in the comments and check out our other guides on similar topics. If you need additional support, don’t hesitate to reach out to us for help!