If you are planning to play music from SoundCloud on Roku device, follow this guide to learn how to do it.
One of the oldest and most popular audio streaming and music distribution platform is SoundCloud. It has given a head start to several independent artists’ careers and helped shape the music industry as it is today.
The Germany-based website is now home to 76+ million registered users, with over 175 million unique listeners every month.
Although SoundCloud has a premium tier, it is mostly free for all users. Every free-tier user gets to upload three hours of audio, with access to a real-time insights dashboard. There are dozens of features for newcomer artists.
However, if you are just a listener, there’s no point for you to buy the SoundCloud Pro subscription. You can enjoy listening to music from your favorite SoundCloud artists without paying anything.
In terms of supported platforms, SoundCloud is quite limited compared to Spotify and Amazon Music. Only Android, iOS, and modern web browsers are compatible with the service. This step-by-step guide will show you how to Get Soundcloud on roku.
Is it Possible to Get SoundCloud on Roku?
While SoundCloud doesn’t officially have a channel for Roku devices, there are a handful of ways you can get SoundCloud on Roku.
We’ll start with Musiclouds, a Roku channel that allows you to listen to music from Jamendo, 8Tracks, and SoundCloud. While you can’t log in with your personal SoundCloud account and access your playlists, you can search for your favorite artists and songs. Furthermore, it lets you discover trending tracks and albums.
Another way to listen to SoundCloud on Roku is to use the device’s screen mirroring feature. All you need is an Android phone/tablet or Windows PC, connected to the same network as your Roku device.
If you use an iPhone or iPad, you can use AirPlay on Roku to listen to music from SoundCloud. More on that later.
Use Musiclouds to Get SoundCloud on Roku
As mentioned earlier, Musiclouds offers music playback from SoundCloud and a few other services. Since it’s available in the Channel Store, you can simply visit the Musiclouds Roku channel page and log in with your Roku account to add the channel.
Alternatively, you can add Musiclouds to your Roku device by following the steps below.
- First, visit the Channel Store by going to the Streaming Channels page from the Home.
- Now scroll down and click Search Channels to search for the “Musiclouds” Roku channel. Use the on-screen keyboard to do it.
- Select Musiclouds from the search results list on the right side of the screen.
- Lastly, click Add Channel on the Musiclouds Channel Store page. If you have configured your Roku account with a security PIN, you might have to enter it to add the channel.
- Once Musiclouds is added to your Roku, click OK.
You can now return to the Roku Home screen and launch Musiclouds from the channels grid.
Bear in mind that you can’t log into the following channel with your SoundCloud account. Thus, you have to search for your favorite music and artists manually from the Search option.
Use Screen Mirroring to Get SoundCloud on Roku
All current-gen Roku devices running Roku OS 7.7 or above offer the screen mirroring feature. You can possibly mirror your Android phone or Windows-powered PC’s screen on Roku and playback music via the SoundCloud app or website.
The first thing you should do is check whether screen mirroring is enabled on your Roku device. To do it, go to Settings from the Roku Home screen and select System. After that, click Screen mirroring in the options and make sure it’s set to Always allow or Prompt.
Depending on which device you would like to use for mirroring the screen on Roku, we have provided separate instructions below.
Mirror the SoundCloud Android App to Roku
Assuming that already have the SoundCloud app installed and set up on your Android phone or tablet, go through the following steps to mirror it to your Roku device:
- Visit the Settings menu on your Android device from either the app drawer or the notification shade.
- Tap the search bar and type “Mirror” or “Cast” in the field.
Important: Note that the option varies based on the Android device you are using, so the screen mirroring menu might be named something else (e.g., Smart View, Display mirroring, AllShare Cast, SmartShare) in your case.
- Once you find the screen mirroring menu in the Settings, enable the option if required.
- Immediately after that, you should see your Roku player or TV on the list, assuming it’s connected to the same home network as your Android device. Tap it to proceed.
- If your Roku’s screen mirroring mode is set to Prompt, you will be prompted to accept the connection.
In a matter of a few seconds, your Android phone or tablet’s screen should be mirrored to your Roku. You can then open the SoundCloud app and listen to your favorite tunes.
Mirror SoundCloud from Windows PC
If your Windows 10 PC or laptop has a Wi-Fi card or adapter, you will be able to mirror your device’s screen wirelessly to your Roku device via Miracast. Here’s how you can use it to get SoundCloud:
- First, connect your Windows PC or laptop to the same network as your Roku device. Ignore this step if it’s already done.
- Click the chat bubble on the right end of the taskbar to open the Action Center.
- Expand the action tiles if necessary, then click the Connect.
- Select your Roku player or TV from the list of devices nearby, then accept the mirroring request if prompted on Roku.
On your Windows PC or laptop, you can now go to the soundcloud.com website from your preferred web browser and playback music on Roku. Alternatively, download the SoundCloud for Windows (Beta) app from the Microsoft Store and sign in to your SoundCloud account for the best experience.
Use AirPlay to Get SoundCloud on Roku
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can use AirPlay to send music to your Roku device from the SoundCloud app. However, your Roku streaming player or TV needs to be updated to Roku OS 9.4, which brings AirPlay support on Roku devices.
Note that all currently-supported Roku players and TVs are receiving the update, as mentioned in the company’s official software release notes.
Once you update your Roku to the latest software version, all you have to do is launch the SoundCloud app on your iPhone or iPad, select a track to play, bring up the Control Center, and tap the AirPlay Audio icon. After that, you can select your Roku device from the options and use it to listen to SoundCloud.
That’s all the viable workarounds for you to get SoundCloud working on your Roku device. It’s worth mentioning that you may not find Musiclouds on the Channel Store in case you have a newer Roku device. In that case, you will have to rely on the two other solutions listed in this guide.
Furthermore, if you encounter bad audio quality when mirroring the SoundCloud app or website to Roku from your Android phone or Windows computer, ensure that both devices are in the same room and receiving strong Wi-Fi signals.