If you have a Roku player and wish to stream the Syfy channel on the big screen, we advise reading through this guide to learn more about the available solutions. Our in-depth tutorial will help you activate Syfy on Roku.
If you are a fan of science fiction, fantasy, and horror shows, Syfy or the Sci-Fi Channel probably rings a bell to you. NBCUniversal is the channel’s current owner, who also runs NBC and its seven other sister networks in the United States.
Syfy’s programming includes not only TV shows and miniseries but also made-for-TV films. Although its initial focus was to broadcast sci-fi programs only, the channel later embraced other genres to attract a more mainstream audience.
According to Nielsen’s Cable Network Coverage Area Household Universe Estimates, over ninety-two million American households are receiving the Syfy channel. Obviously, the number is much more significant in the present, thanks to Syfy’s availability on TV Everywhere and over-the-top live TV streaming services.
If you are wondering, the following services are available across a vast range of devices, and Roku happens to be one of them. In this article, we will show you How to Activate & Watch Syfy on Roku.
Introduction to Syfy Roku Channel
NBC is one of the first networks to participate in the TV Everywhere initiative alongside all its sister channels, including Syfy. The official Syfy Roku channel offers catch-ups of the latest shows and a complete back catalog of on-demand content from the network.
Like other TV Everywhere apps, the Syfy Roku channel also allows cable, satellite, and over-the-top television subscribers to tune into the 24/7 Syfy TV stream. It even provides live access to its sister networks, including Bravo, CNBC, E!, MSNBC, NBC, Oxygen, Telemundo, Universal Kids, NBC Universo, and USA Network.
Some of the popular Syfy’s original and acquired programs you can stream on-demand on the Syfy Roku channel are The Magicians, Vagrant Queen, Wynonna Earp, Killjoys, Futurama, Resident Alien, Devil May Care, Van Helsing, Gary & His Demons, The Twilight Zone, NCIS: Los Angeles, Looking for Leia, The Movie Show, Purgatony, Dr. Havoc’s Diary, The Cyanide & Happiness Show, Hell Den, etc. The library also contains Hollywood movies and made-for-TV feature films for the users to enjoy on-demand.
To learn more about the features of the Syfy Roku channel, check out the below section.
- You can watch your favorite shows live on the 24/7 Syfy TV channel stream when signed in with a participating television provider.
- New episodes from the currently-aired Syfy programs are made available on-demand the day after the initial telecast.
- The Syfy Roku channel has NBCUniversal Profile integration, meaning you can keep your personalized watchlist and favorites in sync across its sister TV Everywhere services.
- Pausing an episode saves the timestamp so that you can come back to it later and resume watching again.
- Closed captioning is available for live and on-demand streams on the Syfy Roku channel.
How to Add Syfy on Roku
You can add Syfy to your Roku device from the Channel Store. Simply go to this Syfy on Roku Channel Store link, click the Add channel button, and then sign in with your Roku account credentials.
If you currently are in front of your television and have access to the Roku interface, perform the steps below using the Roku remote to add the Syfy channel.
- First, head over to the Streaming Channels page from the Roku Home screen.
- Next, visit the Search Channels menu and click the on-screen keys to enter “Syfy” in the search field.
- Once the SYFY Roku channel appears in the results panel, highlight and click it.
- Now click the Add channel option on the following Channel Store page. Confirm your Roku PIN if prompted.
- When the SYFY channel is added successfully, click OK to dismiss the dialog box.
You can now press the Roku remote’s Home button to return to the Roku Home screen and launch SYFY from your channels list.
To place the channel higher in the list, press the Options (✱) button on the remote and click Move channel.
Steps to Activate Syfy on Roku
Provided that you have the Syfy channel included in your cable, satellite, and OTT subscription, you can use your provider credentials to activate Syfy on Roku. Here’s how the whole process goes:
- Open the SYFY channel on your Roku device from the Home screen.
- Highlight and click More in the navigational tabs above the channel’s Home page.
- Select My Profile on the next screen, then click the Sign In option next to “Log in with NBCUniversal Profile.”
- Note down the given activation code and visit www.syfy.com/roku from a web browser on your phone or computer.
- Now enter your activation code in the respective field and hit Continue.
- Click Sign Up at the bottom of the sign-in page. Make sure to continue with the Sign Up with Email
- Enter your email address, password, and other details, agree to NBCUniversal’s terms of service, then click the “Sign Up” button to create an account.
- Once you are asked to link your provider to your NBCUniversal account, click Yes to proceed.
- Choose or search for your TV provider in the list, enter your provider account credentials, and follow the final on-screen prompts.
The Syfy channel activation screen on your TV should disappear upon successful login. After that, you will be able to enjoy its extensive live and on-demand streaming catalog– as long as you continue your cable, satellite, and OTT live TV subscription.
Overview of Syfy Roku Channel: A Quick Tour
Once you activate Syfy on Roku, you will return to the channel’s Home page. Apart from that, you can browse through the different menus from the top portion of the screen, which are Shows & Movies, LIVE, Networks, More, and Search (magnifying glass). Here’s more about each menu in detail:
- Home: It highlights different content for you, including popular shows, new releases, curated lists, personalized recommendations, and many more.
- Shows & Movies: You get to discover the entire catalog of TV shows and movies Syfy currently offers. You can also sort the list by a particular genre or alphabetical order.
- LIVE: It opens a TV channel guide interface that gives you access to Syfy and its sister channel streams.
- Networks: It allows you to browse through all Syfy’s offerings and additional content from NBCUniversal’s other channels.
- More: It’s the Syfy Roku channel’s settings menu. You can toggle closed captioning, link TV provider, and reset the channel.
- Search: If you are looking for a specific movie or show (e.g., Futurama) in Syfy’s library, you can quickly search for it from this menu. It’s even possible to search for particular episodes.
Watch Syfy on Roku without Cable
American cable and satellite pay-TV subscriptions are simply too expensive to continue for many people nowadays. But then you realize you still need to pay for it in order to unlock TV Everywhere services on your streaming device.
However, most networks also provide the option to sign in with an OTT live TV provider, and Syfy on Roku is no exception. Below is a list of all the subscription-based live TV services that offer Syfy and other channels owned by NBCUniversal.
- AT&T TV: You get Syfy with AT&T TV’s Entertainment, Choice, Ultimate, and Premier plans. Additional benefits include on-demand titles, twenty hours of DVR storage, HBO Max subscription, etc.
- Hulu with Live TV: Hulu’s Live TV plan covers Syfy and all of its sister channels. In addition, you get fifty hours of recording time, two simultaneous streams, and access to Hulu’s premium on-demand library.
- Sling TV: You can watch Syfy and a few other NBCUniversal-owned channels with the affordable Sling Blue subscription. The plan also bundles fifty hours of DVR and three device streams.
- fuboTV: Both the entry-level Family and premium Elite fuboTV package include Syfy, NBC, Bravo, E!, USA Network, Oxygen, etc. The DVR recording time and the number of concurrent streams vary between the following plans.
- YouTube TV: You can stream the Syfy channel live and catch-ups from your favorite Syfy programs on-demand on YouTube TV. It’s one of the only OTT platforms offering unlimited DVR storage.
It’s worth noting that the above live TV services’ features and benefits are available only when you use their official app or channel on Roku and other devices. Except for Sling TV, you can activate the Syfy Roku channel with your AT&T TV, fuboTV, Hulu (w/ Live TV), or YouTube TV subscription.
This is how you add the Syfy Roku channel and activate it on your device. While it’s no competition to the diverse libraries of Netflix or Hulu, the Syfy TV Everywhere service offers a decent collection of sci-fi, horror, and fantasy programs to explore.
The in-depth instructions in this guide apply to all the currently supported Roku streaming players, including Roku Express, Premiere, Streaming Stick, Ultra, along with all Roku TV and Soundbar models.