If you have a Roku streaming player or TV, check out this guide to add and activate TLC GO on Roku. We have also provided additional information for cord-cutters to tune into the channel on Roku without a cable/satellite connection.
Discovery Inc.’s TLC is renowned for its popular reality and lifestyle shows among American pay-TV viewers. In 2020, the channel recorded its most-watched year in primetime and secured the top position among other television networks in the female demographic.
TLC channel is available to watch in over 80% of American households with a pay-TV connection. The network also has its complimentary TV Everywhere service that allows viewers to stream its shows and documentaries live and on-demand.
Fortunately, Roku users can also get the TLC GO channel on their devices and enjoy streaming TLC’s flagship shows. The following article will show you how to watch TLC on Roku.
Details about TLC GO Roku Channel
The TLC GO channel is the network’s TVE streaming service on Roku, which is available to only those who have the TLC channel included in their cable or satellite pay-television package. All it requires are your provider account credentials for verification.
Once you go through the verification process, you can start streaming some of TLC’s most popular original programs, including 90 Day Fiancé, Darcy & Stacey, Dr. Pimple Popper: Before the Pop, 7 Little Johnstons, My Big Fat Fabulous Life, Unexpected, Counting On, Cake Boss, Sister Wives, Say Yes to the Dress, etc.
Since it’s a TV Everywhere service, TLC GO allows you to watch the live TLC channel as well. You can also access the catch-ups for the latest episodes right after the live broadcasts.
While you can use TLC GO without activating it, it limits you to a handful of episodes from the on-demand library. Furthermore, the live TLC channel stream stays inaccessible until you sign in with your TV provider username and password.
Features of TLC GO on Roku
- TLC GO lets you stream full episodes of your favorite TLC shows and watch TLC live on Roku.
- Newer on-demand episodes are available to stream in up to Full HD (1080p) quality.
- You can browse TLC GO’s catalog by different genres and categories. It also provides personalized recommendations.
- Closed captions on TLC GO can be turned on for both the live and on-demand streams.
- It doesn’t ask users to pay any extra fee on top of the cable/satellite TV subscription.
How to Add TLC GO on Roku?
The easiest way to add the TLC GO channel to your Roku Home screen is to go to the TLC GO Channel Store page and click Add channel. Once you sign in with your Roku account credentials, the following channel will get auto-added to your channels list on Roku.
Another way to watch TLC on Roku is to add it directly from the built-in Channel Store. If you have never done it, perform the below steps.
- Press the Home button on your remote to go to Roku’s Home screen, then scroll down and select Streaming Channels.
- Next, navigate through the Channel Store options and click Search Channels.
- On the following search menu, enter “TLC GO” with the on-screen keyboard.
- When you see the TLC GO channel appear in the results panel, move to the right and select it.
- Once you are on the TLC GO Channel Store page, click Add channel. (In case your Roku account is protected by a PIN, you need to enter it to add the channel.)
- At last, click OK after TLC GO is added to your channels list successfully.
On the Roku Home screen, you need to scroll down to the bottom of the channels list to open the TLC GO channel.
If you want the channel placed higher in the list, highlight it, press the asterisk (✱) button on the remote, and click Move channel.
How to Activate TLC GO on Roku
In order to access TLC GO’s live and on-demand library on Roku, you must have the TLC channel included in your TV subscription. Assuming your cable or satellite company is on the list of participating providers, follow the instructions below to activate TLC GO on Roku.
- First, open TLC GO from your channels list on the Roku Home screen.
- Move up to the navigation bar and click SIGN IN on the far-right corner of the screen. You should see an activation code.
- Now open a new tab in your browser and go to the tlc.com/activate website.
- Enter the provided activation code in the respective field and click the “Activate!”
- After that, choose your TV provider from the list or search for it.
- Enter the necessary credentials once you get to your provider’s login site, and follow the on-screen prompts to finish the activation process.
When it’s done, the TLC GO channel on Roku should refresh automatically and unlock all the content for you to access.
It’s worth mentioning that you can activate TLC GO on Roku with subscriptions from select over-the-top live TV providers. We will come to that in the later section.
An Overview of TLC GO Roku Channel
The TLC GO Roku channel has a straightforward user interface. The top navigation bar lets you switch between the following sections: Featured, Shows, Browse, Live, and My Videos. You also get access to the Search (magnifying glass) and Settings (cog) menu. Here’s more in detail:
- Featured: It’s the homepage of the TLC Roku channel. You can browse through featured shows, newly added catch-ups, personalized collections. The “Continue Watching” row is also available.
- Shows: It provides a complete list of all the popular lifestyle and reality shows TLC has to offer on-demand.
- Browse: It allows you to search for shows by a particular genre and category.
- Live: You can tune into the 24/7 TLC live TV channel and enjoy the latest broadcasts of your favorite shows on the schedule.
- My Videos: Any content you watch and mark as a favorite in the TLC GO library gets added to this section.
When you pick up an on-demand show to watch, you can choose the season and episode from the library. Plus, you get a summary of each episode and additional info like ratings and premiere date.
If you wish to have closed captions with the live and on-demand streams, go to the Settings menu from the navigation bar and enable the respective option. From there, you can also log out and reset the TLC GO channel.
Can you Activate TLC GO on Roku Without Cable?
Yes, you can activate TLC GO Roku channel without a cable or satellite pay-TV connection. In fact, there are quite a few over-the-top packages you can get to stream not only TLC but also other live television channels on your Roku device.
Note that the following OTT live TV services have their own Roku channels and apps on other compatible platforms. However, you can also use the same subscription to activate TLC GO and several other supported TV Everywhere services.
Philo offers the cheapest skinny bundle that includes TLC and 60+ other live TV channels. Most of TLC’s popular programs are also available on-demand on the service.
In addition, you get unlimited DVR storage, ten personalized profiles, and up to three device streams with Philo’s contract-free subscription plan.
Hulu with Live TV
Streaming giant Hulu is known for both its robust on-demand catalog and compelling live TV channel lineup. You get access to 65+ channels, including TLC and its sister networks, with the Hulu + Live TV plan. Plus, you can stream TLC shows and Hulu’s original content anytime.
Hulu also provides 50 hours of cloud DVR storage and simultaneous streaming on up to two devices. The following features are upgradable with add-ons.
YouTube TV costs the same as the Hulu Live TV subscription, but it has over 85 American channels to offer. TLC and other Discovery-owned channels are available on the service, and you can watch up to 28 days of catch-ups from TLC’s programs.
Like Philo, YouTube TV offers unlimited DVR and three device streams. It also lets users create up to six personalized profiles.
You can watch TLC and 40+ entertainment, news, and sports channels with the Sling Blue plan offered by Sling TV. Sling Orange provides premium sports channels att the same subscription price, but it doesn’t include TLC.
Sling Blue also comes with 50 hours of DVR and up to three concurrent streams. The service even offers special deals and free trials for new subscribers.
fuboTV’s Family and Elite plans include TLC and hundreds of other channels at reasonable monthly prices. You can get more channels by paying extra for add-ons.
With fuboTV’s Family plan, you can record 250 hours of live programming and share the subscription with two more devices alongside your Roku. Elite bumps up the DVR space to 1000 hours and up to five simultaneous streams at home, but it comes at a higher price.
Vidgo holds the middle ground between Sling and YouTube TV in terms of pricing. However, it covers more than 85 channels from popular television networks, and TLC is one of them. All the other channels from Discovery are included as well.
While Vidgo doesn’t have DVR capabilities, you can use your Vidgo subscription on up to three devices at once. Despite the absence of DVR, you can watch the missed episode of your favorite TLC show from the past 24 hours.
Popular Roku Channels
By following this guide, you can activate TLC GO channel on Roku and stream TLC’s lifestyle and reality programming on the big screen with or without a cable connection. We have also given an overview of the channel’s interface so that you can navigate through it with ease.
Bear in mind that the features of the live TV services (e.g., DVR, profiles, VOD library) are inaccessible when you sign in to the TLC GO Roku channel with your OTT subscription. The features are exclusive to the service’s official Roku channel only.